Re: Altezza Carbon Fiber tailight covers, Staties?

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 17:32:33 EDT

Actually, I have. I have followed my truck during the day and night time,
with the lights on and off, and have NO problem, NADDA, ZIP, ZILCH!. I have
the Rams Head taillights, and there is no problem with other people seeing
them. I've been behind a RAM truck with them on, no problem seeing the
lights. I have had state troopers, sheriffs, deputies, and city police be
behind me during the night time and daytime, and none have pulled me over.
Just ask Tim Berry how bad cops can be around here in VA, he's been pulled
over twice by a local cop and he finally just kept them off. I agree on the
smoked lights, they can be pretty dangerous at night time, but the brake
lights usually shine thru them with no problem. Oh, and this is with some
of my vision partly blurred, especially lights at a distance, since my
glasses perscription is kindof weak at the moment, so if I can see them, you
shouldn't have any problem seeing them. Maybe Bob had dim bulbs? Also, if
this is sooo DANGEROUS, why don't they make some of these older cars with
weak bulbs change 'em? They have state inspection around here to check for
that, and lots of these old cars are a LOT WORSE than smoked lights!
Usually cannot see them until I'm 50 ft from the guy. Those are the
dangerous ones to watch out for! Oh, waitamin, the car came like that from
the factory, we cannot force you to change anything if that's how it came
from the factory..... It's just another way to bring in income for the
state... Just like the red light camara's. in DC.. Funny how the number of
violaters a year went from like 12,000 to 115,000, yet, you get no points on
your drivers license, the camara company gets a portion of the money
collected, and not even half of the violaters are actually ticketed...
nevermind the fact that in the statistics they left off how much accidents
have increased at these lights due to people slamming on their brakes to
avoid running the light.

Digging Foxhole as fast as I can!!!!!

Ken Allgood
97 Dakota 5.2L SLT with Rams Head Taillights that are plenty bright

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 22:30:11 -0400
> From: Andy Levy <andylevy@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: DML: Re: Re: Altezza Carbon Fiber tailight covers, Staties?
>
> Have you actually thought this through? Covers make it hard to see the
lights.
> Period. THIS IS DANGEROUS!
>
> Have any of you spent much time following a vehicle with covers on
> them? Last year (2001) on the way to Foxwoods, I was following Bob and his
> center brake light was out. With the covers on his taillights, it took
> me much longer to notice that he was on the brakes. Nearly had a few
> bumper tangles.
>
> I agree some traffic laws are stupid, but there are some out there with
> rational thought behind them. They may seem stupid to some people, but
> they're quite neccessary.
>
> MAGNUM S/T wrote:
>
> > In the state of massachusetts....ANY...and I mean ANY item which in any
way
> > blocks the original safety lights (taillights, headlights) is illegal.
> >
> > Now..I completely understand not allowing the dark smoke type covers...I
had
> > them for awhile myself (and seen them on other vehicles) and it is very
> > difficult to see any light thru them......but damn...MA simply made it
easy
> > by saying ANY covering. ...It's just one more reason they have to pull
you
> > over and make money for the state.
> > Next thing you know it will be illegal to warn drivers of an upcoming
> > speedtrap by flashing your lights....OH YEAH..THAT"S ILLEGAL
TOO...something