How to have fun with a new driver. (long)

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 05:28:05 EDT

Yes this is a little off topic but it's worth it. It can also be applied to
the Dakota!

About three weeks after my son got his driver's license; I came home from
work at about 11pm. As I pulled may Dak into the garage something looked
different about my wife's 2K Neon. I took a look in on the dash and saw a
radar detector plugged in and suctioned cup to the windshield. This is not a
good idea for a 16-year-old when just starting out driving. Made a quick
trip to the mailbox and went inside. I gave the pile of mail to my wife.

 I found out that the radar detector belonged to his buddy. Relieved a
little with that news but not much. But I went on asking questions about the
radar detector and driving with it. My son Jason and Paul (his buddy) were
starting to get nervous about the way I was going with this. Cindy was
looking though the mail and listening in on this. Jason then told me about
how Mon knew about the radar detector. Cindy's first words out of her mouth
was "Jason give me your license!" Jason just about dumped a load in his
pants at this point and was getting upset. As the temporary paper license
got handed over to Mom, I said let take a walk out to the car. Jason asked
why.

On the way out to the garage I explained that the newer cars have a way to
tell the max speed the car has been drive in the last 100 miles. Paul at
this point then chimed in and said "NO-WAY" I turned around and asked if he
wanted to bet his license on it. Shut him up real fast! I sat in the
driver's seat, Jason was in the passenger seat and Paul looking in the
driver's door and Cindy got in the back.

The key went into the ignition; Back and forth the key went 3 times.... The
speedometer jump to 30mph... Jason spit out that I went faster then that as
the needle jumped to 60mph and Jason said sees that's not bad! Then the
needle jumped to 90mph. Poor Jason, his face turned white as a ghost! He was
in shock and tried to say something but nothing came out. I was holding my
poker face pretty good at this point and told him to get back in the house.

The four of us went back in the house as Jason was saying there was no way
He did 90mph! It did come out that he my have done 70mph. His next question
was how long did he lose his license for. Cindy held it up and said this you
will never get back! Poor Jason was just about to lose it at this point. An
envelope from the State of Texas DOT is handed to a very upset 16-year-old
and asked to explain this....

Its just getting worse for poor Jason at this point and he was not a happy
camper. He is trying so hard to say that he hasn't done anything wrong and
why is he getting a ticket in the mail. Hands shacking so much it took him 3
tries to open the envelope. Swearing up and down by now of his innocents the
tension is building so much at this point Paul is lost on what to do or say.
With the open envelope at this point Jason pulls out the papers, unfolds
them to find his new permanent photo license was in the envelope!

At this point Cindy and I were laughing our buts off! I told him about the
gauge cluster test in the Neon. Talk about getting pissed off at Mom and
Dad! It took all most 10 minutes for him to calm down. Short time later he
was able to laugh about the whole thing.

This is a true story. None of the names have been changed to protect
anybody. This happened with out any preplanning or communication between my
wife and myself. That was the beauty of it. Poor Jason is never going too
able to live this down;) Talk about timing with the radar detector in the
car and his new license showing up in the mail the same day! Boy that was
fun.

Thanks for letting me tell this story. I needed to share this with the gang
here in the worst way. Please for the people like myself that read the DML
posts by the way of the digest mode, Please don't copy the whole story to
your replies. Thanks....

Don Mallett
Y2K QC 4.7L Auto SLT+
http://Geocities.com/maldbnsf/