Re: Performance update

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 08:54:38 EDT

At 12:39 AM 5/11/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Just got back from the track, Friday nite test-n-tune at National Trail
>Raceway.
>
>ONLY changes made since last year are a Hughes 1418 cam, Hughes valve
>springs and the M1 2-bbl intake.
>
>13.837 @ 99.56
>13.857 @ 99.12
>13.823 @ 99.56
>
>Looks like it's going to cost more money to see 100 mph.:)
>
>Prior to this my best ET was 13.92 @ 96 in perfect weather and perfect track
>conditions. Normally last year it would run in the 14.00 to 14 teen range.
>Tonight the track was really slippery and 60' times sucked. Weather was OK
>but not the greatest. I was about 6 gallons heavy on gas and my Accel 300
>ignition died on the way to the track so I ran the stock system only.
>
>Left it in Drive where it shifted at 5800, spinning the drag radials on the
>1-2 shift. I've manually shifted it on the street at 6000 (that's the
>limit of the stock tach) and it is still pulling STRONG!! Crossed the
>finish line at 5500.
>
>I'm still using the stock throttle body and stock injectors so I guess I
>have some things left to experiment with.
>
>You can see the rest of the combination at the Drag-Truk site. I'll get it
>updated soon. Can you tell I'm happy? :-) :-)
>
>Ray

Congratulations!!!

Looks like that cam/springs/intake combo worked out well and should
be even better with cooler/cleaner air. Try getting a ported tb. When
I added the F&B Stage 1 tb after the R/T cam (but before the MPI 4 bbl),
it lowered my et by about 25/100s.

There's now a better than 90% chance that I'll returning to the Nats with
Jim, Bruce and Jon this Aug. so I'll see you then.

I haven't been on the track as yet this season. Normal, first Sun. opening
in April was delayed to May 4th and now to June (bummer!). We're
installing the ported heads and should be finished some time next week.
Really getting anxious to see if my expectations become reality!

Take care. I'm sure you'll turn a 13.6x some time this year!
Bob