Re: Piston Head Q

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 17:16:59 EDT

Hey Bob,
<snip> Anyone know the significance about why some oem piston heads have a
different letter stamped on them? On my 5.2L, the passenger bank piston
heads all have a B stamped on them while on the driver's side there is a mix
of B, C and D???<snip>

I'd say it's according to the bore diameter each cylinder was finish honed
to. My FSM cites A thru E for piston diameters, with corresponding cylinder
diameters. Evidently, the machinist/machine used to finish hone the
passenger side was able to hole that side's bores within Basic diameter
(3.0092) to + .0005". On the other side the bores varied from basic diameter
to + .0005(B); + .0010(C) & + .0015 (D). No machine machinist is perfect &
variations occur for various reasons...porosity in the casting; honing stone
break down; coolant flow ; etc.
That's why they give em tolerances to work within...
HTH,

Bob Smith (Daksy2K on AIM)
2K DAKSY CC Sport +
3.9l; V6: 4X4
(1 of 980 2K DAKSYs mfrd)
For the mods,details, etc., visit us at:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/

(ps, we're still working on it...
Susan on the page; me on the DAKSY! )