AC clutch bearing failure and other failures - 2000 4.7 QC

From: Carter, Brian (brian.carter@texian.org)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 01:00:57 EDT

While my truck was in warranty (a short time given all the driving I
do), I never had any issues. This year, as I began to close in on 60K
miles, three things have failed.

First, the drivers side door lock started making a wild noise (like a
threaded bolt being pulled through a hole in sheet metal), and then
failed. It was $80 for the part, and no big deal to repair it.

Three weeks ago, I noticed the chrome lamination on the grill was
getting bubbles - delaminating. That just shouldn't be happening, even
at 60K miles.

Finally, two days after that, the AC clutch bearing burned out 60 miles
north of Monterrey, Mexico. I limped home. At first I was furious
because I thought it had destroyed the compressor and I have two Bronco
II's ('85 and '89) that both still have the original clutch bearing and
work fine. It might be out of warranty, but that bearing should have
lasted a heck of a lot longer.

After a battle to get the pulley off (I didn't have the special toolset
- another $100), I replaced the whole clutch (the bearing had completely
burned out and separated as I was removing it). The new clutch ($216)
went on with very little hassle and seems to be running fine (over 1K
miles since replacement). Fortunately, there appeared to be no damage to
the compressor.

Has anyone noticed the chrome delaminating from the grill or had a
premature AC clutch bearing failure?

Thanks,
Brian T. Carter
2000 Dakota QC