Re: Traction Questions

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.net)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 22:08:36 EDT

At 11:16 AM 5/15/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>My first question is about my tires, I get the feeling that pretty much
>everyone hates the RSAs that come stock, my question is wet traction. I
>have none, if I touch the throttle with anything more than a feather touch,
>I lose traction. Is that the tires or the truck? Seems a lot of folks like
>the Nittos, how is the wet traction on those? My second question is
>traction bars, how much of a difference do they make on a stock R/T? Should
>I wait until I get some more ponies under the hood, or would they be worth
>it now? Thanks.

I had RT/S's on my truck, so I can't speak for the other Goodyears.

I would only lose wet traction if I pushed the pedal fairly hard (but
it's obviously a lot easier to do when it's wet than dry). Which
rear-end do you have? I've got the 3.92, which doesn't help much either.

In December, I replaced the stock tires with 31x10.5x15 BFG All-Terrains.
I love them. The wet traction is slightly better, but where they really
blow the pants off of the stock tires is in any kind of off-road conditions;
even just loose dirt, but *especially* in light mud. The Goodyears would
bog down very easily. With the BFGs, I rarely even need 4 wheel drive.

-Bill