Re: BERND - RE: Just a what if question

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 13:52:33 EDT

Thank you. :)

Yes, I was an ASE certified mechanic (with BAR-90 Smog Certification) from 1988-
1993 (in San Jose, CA) but couldn't keep up with the bills in the area so I
moved over to the IT field. I have stayed up to date with the engines and
technology since then as not to loose touch with what's going on in the field.
I still try to keep in contact with most of my resources from back as well.

Most of the dealer mechanics/technicians are quite knowledgeable in their
specific fields but there are those few who do have a tendency to flaunt
their "badges". Those are the ones who give the rest a bad name.
Remember...dealer mechanics will normally work within the parameters of the
dealer warranty policies...but you should see some of their personal vehicles
(WOW!...Nice modifications).

I don't claim to know everything and am always learning new things on these
engines as they change from year to year. There are some on this (and other
lists) who far surpass what I know and are also an excellent reference.

Most of the recommendations are on a "daily driver" level as not everyone races
their trucks all the time and most want a combination of performance, fuel
economy, and reliability. (Safety factors also come into play on some of the
recommendations.) I've been wrong and right on many items as well...it's all
part of the business.

Take care,

- Bernd

> Bernd
> How'd you get so much Dodge knowledge? Where you a trained mechanic, or
someone who just
had the ability a pursued it? Just curious since you always have the educated
answer.
I'm not being sarcastic. I always read the 'responses' you give to the others
on the
list.
> I know a few and have met 'dealer' mechanics that leave you wondering where
they were
trained and how they got that friggin ASE patch on their shoulder. Reminds me
of the
Car-x commercial... the dealer mechanic, "Einsteins theory of relativity
states that....