Re: Rigging a hood latch (Was: 50MM OR 52MM TB)

From: Dave (ded74@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 23:06:02 EDT

That's what I was thinking, some sort of rod, another trip to Home Depot,
see what I can use :) Finished fitting and cutting one side, gonna do the
other side tomorrow, then some finishing work, primer and bright aluminum
paint, should give me just the look I want. have to find a longer piece of
expanded metal for the lower valance, they didn't have any 36" sections last
time I went.

--
Dave
Bensalem, PA

"Grady Ogburn" <jgo@nospamplease.uswest.net> wrote in message news:ac1r6s$qj2$1@bent.twistedbits.net... > > On Thu, 16 May 2002 22:16:20 -0400, Dave said... > > > [snip] > > Didn't look for the precats, had softball practice and then > > spent the rest of the daylight working on my homemade speed grilles :) > > Gotta figure out how I'm gonna rig the hood latch. > > I put on a set of black powder coated grille inserts from GrillCraft > (from Jonas) and the latch extender that came with it was pretty > simple; a rod about 8-9" long with a rubber cap on one end, and the > last inch of the other end flattened and drilled with two holes > (probably 3/16", about 3/4" apart). Remove the hood latch from the > hood, drill two holes, bolt the rod on with locknuts and LocTite red. > It sticks straight down behind the center pillar of the grille, and > once you pop the hood, you have to grab the rubber tipped end and > kinda sweep it to the right to release the catch. > > I could've probably set the angle more carefully. I have to yank the > lever to the "open" position to shut the hood, rather than just > letting it fall. The extender will hit the bottom catch, otherwise. > > You could probably build it (or something like it) for a few bucks and > a trip to the hardware store. Email me offline if you want a picture > of it (or of the grilles). > > -- > Grady Ogburn (Denver, AIM: JGradyO) > Black '98 Sport CC 4x4 5.2l, 5 Speed, 3.55 LSD > K&N GenII, MP TB, JET II, MSD 6A, Magnecor 8.5 Wires > Mesa Headers & Cat, Gibson/MagnaFlow 3" Exhaust, Leer Topper