RE: Exhaust bottleneck?

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@MCTSSA.USMC.MIL)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 11:24:37 EDT

Three CATS. One main CAT on the exhaust line and one after each
short-manifold (for CA CARB emission vehicles).

I would cautious those who add headers without replacing the CATS with the
HI-FLOW version. The standard CATS will not last and will burn out the
internals.

However, the first change is the air intake, thermostat (180), and plug
changes to one colder. Once this is accomplished, then either add the JET
CHIP Stage II or have someone modify your ECU unit. Next is the TB unit and
exhaust (3 inch). I usually go with the one inch per hundred HP range on
single exhaust system. If you can find someone to replace your CAT, go with
the hi performance 3 inch version. Then apply the JBL headers. Remember the
key word is BACK PRESSURE. To much exhaust and not enough back pressure
will rob your vehicle of power.

You will be pushing the truck from the normal 18XHP at the wheel to 20X
without adding the exhaust system.

When it comes to flow dynamics (exhaust size), talk to Bruce Bridges.
Steven St.Laurent
C4i System Engineer
C4i Engineering Branch, PSD, MCTSSA
MARCORSYSCOM, U.S. Marine Corps