Re: New: Flowmaster, Attn: "DAVE" Was:Re: Re: Traded in my 2-week-old Dakota QC

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 11:04:16 EDT

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Canucker Trucker wrote:

> ""Dave"" <ded74@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Did you get the 50 series Delta Flow or SUV? I'm still shopping around
> for
> > a muffler for my custom duals I'll be getting. I've heard mpg's of both
> the
> > 40 and the 50, the 50 seemed to have a lil bit deeper tone, which is what
> > I'm looking for, I want a good muscle car rumble.
> >
> > --
> > Dave
> > Bensalem, PA
> > '02 R/T RC Flame Red
>

> Dave,
> I've been asking myself the same question and I decided what I'm going to
> order today. Basically, from what I gather, the 40 series original is the
> loudest in the flowmaster line. The 40 delta flow is a bit quieter, but
> offers a bit more flow resistance for some back pressure that's needed for
> the low end torque. I believe the 50 series are a bit quieter yet from the
> 40 series and has more flow resistance yet (but can accomodate more CFMs for
> larger displ. engines). Anyways, I'm ordering a 40 series original today
> with a single 3" inlet and dual 2 1/4" outlets. My biggest debate was
> deciding between the original and delta flow series.... I basically went
> with the original cause my sound preference overruled all. I suspect the
> delta flow would be a bit better for performance, but it's probably a
> marginal difference. I guess the 40 is pretty loud and rumbly. I'm young
> and stupid, so loud is good ... right!
>
> hope that sheds a little more light on the picture!

I talked to two different techs at Flowmaster, said I wanted a muffler
that would flow the best with most HP/TQ gains for a 2001 4.7, not too
worried about in cabin noise, and both pointed me to the SUV 50 Series
muffler. It has one of their largest casings for more flow.

I have it on my truck with dual 2 1/2 inch mandrell bent pipes (get these
-vs- press bent) dumping into 4 inch angle-cut tips...sounds great and
indeed has some nice throttle response.