Re: Spark Plugs: Autolite

From: crm (tb.crm@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 11:21:01 EDT

Canuck,

I was in the same situation. I finally decided on the 5224's. As I did some
more reading and researching, it seemed the 3923's are geared more towards
the 318/360. The 3923's would work but I think the main difference is how
long the nose is. I was not experiencing any ping/knock, so the shorter nose
of the 3923 (along with more fouling etc) wasnt necessarily needed.

I dunno much about the "quality" factor, or the main reason the Autolites
seem to be preferred. I did hear back from some people running the 5224's
and heard they got better idling/slight mileage increase, but for the
average guy without a dyno there isnt really a way to document a 4-5 HP
increase. The preference might be due to the fact that Bernd saw 4-5HP
increase running the 3923's, but that wasnt on a 4.7. And as you prolly
already know, the 4.7/5.x dont always respond the same to the same mods. Or
it could just be that Autolites are cheap and worth a shot.

I am keeping my expectations kinda low, knowing that everything needs to
work together to make a noticiable difference. They will get installed this
weekend when I put on the Z tube and scope out the TB for a change once
Fastman gets back in the shop. I'll let you know how it turns out...

-adam