Re: Re: RE: VIRUS WARNING !!!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 21:58:09 EDT

"Ray" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

: FYI...The infected email did NOT come through the DML. But, since the
: sender was listed as "Dakotamaster13" it seemed logical to expect that other
: Dakota fans might be targets as well.

  Ok, that makes sense. Had me wondering for a bit there. :-)

  Regarding getting viruses via the DML, its almost impossible to get
a virus in a DML message. (I won't say completely impossible, it
seems nothing is completely impossible.) ;-) Reason being, the DML
doesn't allow attachments, which is how viruses are transmitted via
e-mail. So, unless a virus figures a way to transmit itself without
using an attachment (highly unlikely), you won't be getting any
viruses via the DML directly. However, when you post a message to
the DML, your address is sitting on the computers of all the other
DML members, so if a DML member's system is infected, it is possible
for the virus to glean e-mail addresses off of that system from
received messages, then you get the virus directly from that person.
No different than if you had sent the person an e-mail directly, or
were on their address book, really.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'