Re: Re: 8.75 rear end swap on gen 2

From: Ray (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 22:21:27 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Pukeloser@aol.com>
Subject: Re: DML: Re: 8.75 rear end swap on gen 2

> I dont actually have the rear end yet, but my friend "Hemi" Steve has what
> need from an old '73 B-body I believe. I was actually looking for a shop
that
> will handle the installation too. Do you know if Moser does install? It
looks
> like they just build the rears. I dont have the tools (nor welding skills)
> do it myself.> John S

OK, if you use the B-body housing you will need to relocate the spring
perches. (The A-body housing is shorter and is a direct bolt in but then
the axles need to be changed to ones with the thicker flanges so you can
reuse your original brakes.)
Shouldn't be hard to find someone who knows how to cut off the B-body
perches and weld on new ones. Don't use the perches from MP as the center
hole is too large.

You will need a brake drum with 5 stud holes instead of six and matching
wheels unless you want Moser to re-drill the axles for the stock 6 lug
pattern. Your wheel back spacing will also be different. Lots of little
things to consider when doing this swap.

Does this rear end have the gear ratio you need/want? (Randy's Ring and
Pinion)
Is it limited slip? (original or going to Auburn?)
Will your u-joint fit? (mine did with the 489 case)
Will your drive-shaft need shortened? (haven't yet but not much travel
available)
Gonna use original axle bearings or change to the sealed bearings (Green)?
Lug pattern change? (I went with 5 lug)
New brake drums? (I used the part # for '74 Challenger, from Raybestos)
New wheels?
New brake lines and loss of rear anti-lock? (no big deal)

Ray