Re: turbo ?? couple of questions...

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 19:54:19 EDT

> what exactly does a turbo charger do?? are there oem or aftermarket turbos
> i can get for my truck.... are they really worth it ??
A turbo uses exhaust gases via an impeller to compress the intake charge and
force it into the cylinder at higher than atmospheric pressure.
Yes, there are aftermarket turbos out there, but it is probably better and
easier to go with a supercharger.
The diff between the two? Turbos are exhaust driven, and have a "lag" before
the impeller has enough exhaust flow to create full boost. Superchargers are
belt driven, and have no "lag".
Both will require some internal mods to the engine.
Bernd is our resident expert on the subject. He'll probably chime in and say
more in two sentences than I could say in two pages.
HTH

Jon
STL MO