Re: SR-71 Aircraft

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 00:03:14 EDT

> Side # is 606968
OH NO!!
NEVER, EVER, call it a side #. It's a TAIL #.
That # says the airframe was made in 1966, if I recall my nomencature
correctly.

Actually, all of the "retired" SR-71's were put back into service a few
years ago

That is incorrect. Only three were called back by NASA, supposedly to do
some "flight testing" and to "test new sensor arrays" (aka digital cameras).
Actually, it was a back door way to fund SR flight ops.
Most of the nose of the plane was basically a camera. They had forward and
side looking cameras. Believe it or not, their "sensors" back then were
digital. From 80k ft they could photo 100k+ sq. miles in one hour.
I wish I could talk to my SR mechanic friend and get more neat info, but
ironically, he's in CA right now visiting with his old 9th Strat Recon Wing
(SR and U-2) friends near Beale AFB at the moment.

Bill, (Semihemi) nice pics of the Dak!
What a great place to have the meet! I've been there twice, and it never
fails to impress. I still didn't get in the sub-too much to see!
And, IIRC, isn't the "SR" in Mobile actually an A-12?

Jon
STL MO