Re: Check engine light and bad shifting (long but informative)

From: Martin Nowak (got-speed@cox.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 21:01:55 EDT

I have had it stick before in 1st or 2nd and I found that the gear knob was
not 100% seated down in place on the steering column.(Drive of course) If
it happens again, wiggle the gear knob alittle. If it is in place it will
not move up or down, if it is not then it should "catch" where it belongs.
Hey I hope for your wallets sake its this easy.

Marty

""Chris Reck"" <roadkill47@attbi.com> wrote in message

> I could use some help with this one. My truck is out of warranty and I
want
> to avoid if I can taking it to the dealer.
>
> I was driving home from work Friday in stop and go traffic when I noticed
> that it seemed like it wanted to keep going as I applied the brake. When
> started again, it was like the brake was on and it stuttered to get going
> (engine rev remained constant, but no power and a little jerking).
>
> After 10 min, it seemed to clear itself up. I exited and found that as
soon
> as I hit 40, the slightest touch on the gas and the engine would downshift
> and rev to 6000 rpm. I stopped, shut it off for a few minutes and started
> again. The check engine light came on and it still had problems figuring
> out which gear to shift in. I made it to the store and went shopping. 20
> minutes later I come out and drove it home 15 miles OK. I also drove it
> Saturday and today to work no problems. Leaving the parking garage, It
would
> not want to come out of first gear no matter what I did.
>
> I had this happen before at 20358 miles (I have 50113 now) and they found
it
> to be a problem with TSB # 18-07-99. They found Gov Pressures Too Low.
> They replaced a faulty valve body (actually a Body-Transfer Plate).
> My questions are...
>
> * Does anyone have a code scanner in the Northbrook, IL area (north
> Chicago) that can meet me for lunch and/or after work to check for codes?
>
> * Am I having the same problems again that should be covered under the
TSB?