RE: Pace-Edwards Powergate install?

From: Bill (bill@nissley.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 03:06:17 EDT

I installed mine last Saturday. It all went pretty smooth. A few things
came up along the way though. Getting the Powergate itself into the
tailgate was pretty easy.

1) Be careful when prying the trim piece off around the latch. One of
the tabs on mine broke off. Still holds tight but it ticked me off. As
you pull up on the bottom, there is a tab on each of the bottom corners,
slide a plastic putty knife or similar tool along the bottom and gently
pry up both corners.

2) use a pair of needle nose pliers to rotate up the plastic connectors
that secure the rods to the latch.

3) Buy some ties if you don't have any before you begin. They only give
you a few with the kit. I used about 10-15 more than that.

4) Leave 95% of the short harness in the tailgate and just let the
connector extend down behind the bumper a little ways. That way if you
need to remove the gate later there's no problem getting to the
connector. The long harness is plenty long enough to make it the rest of
the way.

5) Follow the large existing harness on the drivers side using cable
ties attaching the new harness. The trickiest part is getting over the
gas tank.

6) Bring the harness up the inside of the firewall and in though the
large black grommet next to the master cylinder. It looks tight but you
can individually push the wires through with your finger tip.

7) There are two connectors by the parking brake. The larger one (C247)
is the one you want. You will want to disconnect it to get to the wires
to put the connectors on. Slide a screwdriver up against the pushbutton
on the side of the connector and gently pull the connector off.

8) Be careful not to connect to the Pink/Violet wire. It looks almost
the same as the Pink/Black when you are underneath the dash.

Good luck,
Bill