RE: More help requested with Transmission problem

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 10:19:38 EDT

No problem....here's the whole deal on it...

There's three sensors that you need to replace with the updated units
from Mopar:

(1) Overdrive Solenoid Pack
(2) Transducer
(3) Governor Pressure Solenoid (known for failing)

The easiest way to describe the sensor failure (or starting to fail):
"Shift Nirvanna", where it doesn't really know what gear to stay in (and
shifts at random), and/or shifting really late in all gears, and/or
sticking in 1st gear and hitting the rev-limiter (will shift if you let
off the accelerator pedal).

Changing out all the sensors takes about 2-3 hours....with a filter and
fluid change and 1/2 hour for transmission cool-down (if it was hot).

BTW: You do not have to remove the valve body to fix/replace the
sensors. Dodge replaces the entire valve body as "Warranty Work" (it's
cheaper for them labor-wise than to replace the sensors).

- Bernd