Re: Re: RE: Service Manuals Project

From: Jason A Banta (jason.banta@louisville.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 11:25:18 EDT

If Chrysler would allow the DML to share/use the FSM, could the DML
website be setup to make users authenticate (Sign In) so that the FSM is
available for members, but not just sitting on the net for anybody to
get to and use?

>>> raymond.irons@gm.com 06/14/02 11:13AM >>>

Guy's,
      I'm not a lawyer and I personally think its a great idea, but
isn't
this very similar to what got napster shutdown? I think Andy is right,
don't think you can legally do something like this over the net. If
you
have a FSM and a buddy asks you if he can borrow it, that's one thing,
but
to have it on-line could represent a huge loss to the company that
prepares
and distributes the FSM (in this case, Chrysler Corp.) to say nothing
of
the sales loss they could suffer by having it available on-line for
free
access. If you can resolve the legal issues, I'm all for it.

Ray, Dover, DE