Re: 12,000 Mile 8 3/4 swap update...

From: jkp (jkp61@horizonview.net)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 18:39:23 EDT

  Yes I did! I have my trusty Direct Connection Bible from 1982, before they
thought up Mopar Performance, and I researched everything in there first.
That is where I found the B-body would be the closest w/o having to do
anything drastic. The only thing I really had to do was torch the hole in
the spring seat bigger to fit the "soft ride" springs otherwise it was
almost a bolt-in. The 3rd member was a little longer, so it pushed the
driveshaft farther in the transmission, but it never gave me any trouble. I
also agree the feeling of doing it all yourself can't be beat. Of course
everyone still gave me a hard time about a Volare' with Roadrunner on the
side, but what they didn't realize was the only thing left from the factory
was the driveshaft! I also installed a built '70 340 w/2.02 heads and a
Crower 284/300 duration, .500/.510 lift cam and other mods. I also replaced
the 4spd O/D with a '64 wide ratio 6 cyl A-833 4spd tranny. Later I wished I
had kept the O/D or at least gone with a close-ratio A-833. She would run
high 13s w/ slicks and open headers. No weight was stripped from the car,
heck of a play toy and she was a daily driver that surprised a lot of
people! Also had my Kenwood component stereo crankin'!!! I could dump the
clutch at 6-7 grand all day long and the tires would instantly go up in
smoke! No heating them up, and she would get 4 gears of rubber. That is
probably why I still had the stock driveshaft> wouldn't hook up! Also
wouldn't break out of the 15s with street tires, but would run 96 mph! Ahhh,
memories!!
Take Care & Keep On Truckin'~~~~~John
    <<'96 Dakota Sport 4x4, 3.9L 5spd>>