Another mystery solved

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 19:24:05 EDT

Hey, DML!
I posted last week about the u-joints possibly going south & causing a loud
vibration/grinding sound from under the DAKSY. It occurred 3X in the last
week.
Well, last nite I was driving my daughter home from Scooby Do & damned if it
didn't start again, but this time it was in the steering wheel! WTF?!?!?! I
slowed & rolled the window down & JEEZ it WAS coming from the drivers' side
front wheel. I stpopped & crawled under & couldn't see anything. I was on
the shoulder of a main road so I decided to back er into a side street
(maybe 50 ft)so as not to get runned over...& it stopped about 1/2 way to
the side street. So I said to Sarah, "we're goin for it. Maybe we can make
it 12 miles to my tools..." Well, we made it & I decided to wait til this AM
to jack er up & crawl under (again).
I get er up to remove the wheel & 5 of the 6 lugnuts are loose! I distinctly
remember tightening them with the impact - in sequence - when I hadda drill
out the shock bolt. The inner side of the OEM wheel showed evidence of
hitting the upper side of the caliper adapter.
Can't believe I didn't lose any lugnuts.. or the wheel (or my life, for that
matter!).
We've had some thievery around here lately & looks like somebody tried to
borrow the new
32s!
Sheeesh....Time for locking lugs I guess...