RE: Maximum tire diameter on Gen III?

From: Esler, Joel (joel.esler@us.army.mil)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 23:05:05 EDT

31 x 10.5

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net]On Behalf Of steve preston
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 10:57 PM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: DML: Maximum tire diameter on Gen III?

Hey! I`ve got P265/70R16 tires on my truck,and a
friend of mine has some new P265/75R16 tires,but
compared to mine,they look absolutely freaking huge! I
have the 3.92 gears,so bigger diameter tires would not
be too bad gear-wise. My reasons for considering
taller tires are these:
1.) Looks. The only thing not attractive on a Gen III
Dak 4X4 has got to be the wheelwells. Brake
lines,control arm/suspension,engine,etc.,all that
stuff is in plain view. Bigger (taller) tires would
help that.
2.) Looks again. Taller tires would raise the truck a
little. That`s good. It would look even tougher (if
that`s possible). :)
3.) BUMPS!! More tire between the wheel and the road
would HAVE to improve the ride a little bit. My Dak
has a tremendous amount of "road feel"! That might be
OK in Warren,Michigan,but around here we have some
rough roads. Actually,only the ones I have to drive on
are bad. :(
 So how much bigger are the 265/75/16 tires compared
to the 265/70/16`s? Would they fit alright,without any
clearance problems? Also,would my gas mileage likely
go up,or down? These are regular all season truck
tires,BTW,just like my Badyears. Thanks. Steve P.

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92
limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.