Re: Flowmaster vs. Dynomax Ultra-Flow Sound

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 14:08:52 EDT

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Ryan Rodgers wrote:

> I'm debating bewteen the flowmaster 50 series or the ultra-flow. I believe
> its the ultra-flow muffler on the R/T's and I like the way those sound.
> However, I've never heard the 50 series to compare the two. Also, I don't
> want it too loud in the cab while cruising at highway speeds, so is is
> correct to assume the 40 series would be too loud? Any input or sound clips
> (especially on a 4.7) would be appreciated.
> -Ryan

Re: the Flowmaster, I think you're on the right track re: the 50 Series.

I have the SUV 50 Series Performance single 2 1/2 inch in, dual 2 1/2 inch
out muffler on my 2001 4.7.

Per FMs web site, this muffler is actually a bit louder in cab -vs- the 50
Series Delta Flow but not annoyingly loud, and thats what I wanted...for
me to hear it under acceleration -vs- someone outside the truck, to hear
that gurgle when I let of the gas, especially when going down hill, and to
hear the nice rumble at start up, inside the cab.

And again, per the FM site, the SUV 50 is sightly quieter outside -vs- the
50 Series, but I addressed that using 4 inch angle cut tips.

So why go with the SUV 50 -vs- the 50 Series Delta Flow?

Per FM, it flows better as the casing is slightly wider -vs- the Delta Flow

BTW, ensure you use mandrell bent pipes -vs- press bend for better flow,
regardless of what muffler you choose.

Your local Meinike shop can order mandrell bent dual tail pipe kits.