RE: Re: McAfee Virus warning.

From: crm (tb.crm@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 22:17:39 EDT

thats a very common comment :) the thing is Mcafee (esp. AVERT Labs) is
very quick to respond to new viruses, worms, etc, and almost every time
something new comes out they are the first to have protection for it.

the biggest reason is their main client-base which are large companies,
govt agencies, etc. those type of customers have a lot at stake due to
the "billions" lost each year due to this type of threat (and this
drives the business mindset of McAfee). norton/symantec's user base is
largely home-users. not as much accountability and therefore not as
quick of a response.

of course both companies will protect the average person about the same,
but the fact is that Mcafee is just about always the first to advise and
release new dat files whenever something new comes out. not only that,
but they consistently beat out all other AV companies in independent
detection and cleaning capability tests.

and before anyone asks - NO, i am not an employee of either company.
just an interested bystander and a sometimes investor in Network
Associates and Mcafee.

sorry for all the OT info...oh, wait...i wonder if one could install AV
software on their Dodge Dakota PCM after a custom flash to prevent the
dealer from overwriting it?

-adam