Re: Changing Spark Plugs -Why are there heat shields

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 13:16:47 EDT

>Mechanical engineer .. a gear head though. I originally went into

>engineering so that I could get into racing and/or auto manufacturing ...
>turns out it's mostly full of poitics and crap. I have a few friends that
>went to work for Honda and I think one went to DC, they're stuck designing
>rear view mirrors or something stupid like that! What I need is a little
>race shop. That's where it's at.

>And trust me ... I've skinned my share of knuckles cursing at engineers!

>Canuck

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

1) Scientist's dream up new and exciting technologies and machinery

2) Engineer's build the stuff Scientist's dream up

3) Mechanics figure out how to make it run right after the scientists and
engineers give up and insist it can't work. After mechanics get it to run
right and prove to the engineers and scientists they actually were right,
they give it back to them to play with. Shortly after the scientists and
engineers start playing with their new toy, they break it and go crying to
the mechanic to fix it.

Now, of all these, #1 and #2 are required to have a college degree, #3
isn't. This just proves it only takes a college degree to break stuff, and
a high school education to fix it.

I can't remember how many times I told that to pilots when I was in the
USAF.

Ray

Dover, DE
USAF, Retired Jet Engine Mechanic