46RE A/T Band Adjust

From: Dennis & Becky Anderson (whatelse@qwest.net)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 18:23:16 EDT

Apparently my '96 Dakota w/ 318 has the 46RE auto trans.
That is according to my local Dodge dealer who deciphered
the meaning of Equip Codes 'DGB' and 'DGT'- both are listed
on the under-the-hood label.

The HAYNES Repair Manual (#30020/1668) for the '87 to '96
models mentions only the A-500, A-998, 42RH, 42RE, & 46RH
A/T models, so I was surprised when told I have a 46RE -
I thought they were only found on the Gen 3 Dakota's.

Does anyone know the backoff turns and torque specs for the
adjusting screw and locknuts for the low/rev band and for
the kickdown band? Would they be the same as for the 46RH?

For the 46RH Haynes says:
Kickdown - 72 in lbs, backoff 2-7/8 turns, nut @ 30 ft lbs.
Low/Rev - 72 in lbs, backoff 4 turns, locknut @ 25 ft lbs.

What works best to turn the squarish (w/ rounded corners)
adjusting screw ? A tight fitting 8 or 12 point socket ?
(Unfortunately no one has yet invented a vise-grips with a
built-in torque meter !) Dennis A.