Drop A/T Pan w/ Interfering Exhaust

From: Dennis & Becky Anderson (whatelse@qwest.net)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 19:43:53 EDT

While attempting to remove the A/T pan on my '96 I found
that there was insufficient clearance between the pan and
the crossover pipe from the left header to permit the pan
to drop enough for removal.

Evaluating the options - detaching the exhaust pipes from
the manifolds and loosening the hangers from the body OR
cutting and bending the crossover pipe - I chose the latter
because all the connections looked quite rusted and time
was short. That option worked well, thanks to the sawzall!
The quick-and-dirty repair using muffler wrap, soup can
steel, and hose clamps is holding up quite nicely.

Now that I have the time to properly do a permanent fix,
what suggestions to you fellows have for such a repair ?

Should I visit the Dodge dealer to see what they carry
in regards to exhaust piping that will sit a bit lower to
the ground or should I just visit a custom exhaust shop and
have them fabricate new piping from the exhaust manifolds
to the catalytic converter ?

I also noticed that the left side pipe has a 'factory made'
dent in it so as to not rub against the FWD drive shaft.
This dent is rather large and seems to noticeably restrict
the exhaust flow. I'd like to eliminate this as well. DA.