Re: Totaled

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 23:20:08 EDT

b wrote:
> Got in a wreck last Thursday in the Dakota. Dumb *itch
> cut in front of me at a yellow light and was ticketed
> for her stupidity. Today, my insurance company decided
> my '98 4x4 CC is worth $15,800. Since I paid $13k six
> months ago, I'm not going to argue their payoff.

Ouch. That sucks. I assume you're OK?

> Questions:
> They insisted on knowing the price I paid. I feel the
> fact that I got a decent deal should not sway my
> settlement an iota.

Maybe, maybe not. The amount you paid could be used by them to value
the vehicle. They can say "you paid $13K for it, so we won't issue a
check for more than that" and it'll probably hold up.

It's been 3 1/2 years, but I think when I got the insurance on my truck,
they asked what I was paying for it before issuing the policy. Then
again, mine was new, not used.