Drum brakes, parking brakes, wheel studs... and advil....

From: Granpa Silver89 (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 23:18:36 EDT

Ok - (deep breath) I have some questions at the end of this - I need
some advice from The List.

This all started out Sunday when I simply wanted to rotate my tires.
Because I have been having front end alignment problems, I have been
rotating the tires more frequently to try and even out the tread wear.

Flash-back... On my way out to the BBQ this July, I stopped at a rest
area and rotated the front tires (in 90 some degree heat with only the
spare tire jack heh) because I did not like the way they were looking
(abnormal wear). When I did this - I noticed that the lugs on the front
right wheel were not turning very freely on the studs. They were not
cross threaded but the threads on the studs and lugs were damaged. I
made a mental note to replace them. That was the last time that wheel
was off the truck.

I'm going on the road again this week so I went to rotate the tires
Sunday afternoon. There went the right lugs and studs. I took them off
and saw that the threads were now damaged even more. Time to replace
them. No big deal right? I put her up on the jack stands and went to
take the rest of the wheels off. Figured that while I had the rears off
I would inspect the rear drums and shoes. Well Andy, now I know what
caused the rears to lock up that day. The shoes were worn down to the
metal. There was almost no material left. The drums were also so thin
they could not be machined over. She is still up on the jack stands
tonight because I need to wait for the studs and drums to come in.

(I'M TIRED OF DRIVING THE FORD!!)

Bottom line - I'm installing new drums and shoes, and studs on the right
front. Here come the questions.

I bought 20 new lugs for all the wheels. Since I am replacing the studs
on the right front, do you think I should go ahead and replace all the
studs? The threads for the other three wheels seem ok. Would it be
alright if I used a die on the threads and cleaned them up instead or
replacing them? My thought were that if I am going to replace some
studs and all the lugs - may as well do the rest right? Any tips on
stud removal??

Next question... This is the first time I have changed the rear brakes
by myself. I usually took it someplace before, but I am pretty sure the
shoes were put back on properly. However... they seem to be loose and I
  have a feeling that I will have problems putting the new thicker drums
on. This is because I test fitted the old right drum back on, stepped on
the brakes a couple times... and had LOTS of trouble getting the drum
off. It was also difficult to get the drum on in the first place. The
shoes do not seem to be in as tight or as close together as I think they
should be. They are also not centered on the axle. They seem to be off o
the left side. Would this indicate the hold down springs have lost their
tension? I'm going to replace them (I already took the shoes off again)
but I was wondering if new springs would fix this? I don't want the
shoes dragging.

I also started cleaning up and repairing my parking brake cables. My
mechanic said they had to be replaced... (pfft) I got the cables moving
freely again - I think he was just trying to pocket more cash. My
confidance in him has dwindled.

I just ate a bowl of cerial - downed some Advil - and am going to
relax... damn - one thing leads to another don't it?

--

"Hey Ray! Granpa done gone'n hit another light pole!"

Granpa - (Silver89)

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow