Re: Re: RE: Long term storage questions

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 10:15:23 EDT

At 09:06 AM 8/7/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Guess that makes sense. I'm assuming just a little bit of oil
>on the threads? And then new plugs when I get back, along
>with fresh oil. -Dave

* Remove your spark plugs, then squirt or pour about 10 to 30 ml
   of engine oil into the engine via the spark plug holes ...
   that's about 1 to 2 tablespoons

* Replace spark plugs

* Disable your ignition (the method varies from vehicle to vehicle)
    I would unplug the coil wire at the distributor cap

* Crank your engine for about three revolutions. This will put a
    layer of lubrication with the oil which was poured around the
    top part of the cylinder wall. The step above will prevent excessive
    wear when you crank.

    As a matter of fact, do the above when you take it out of
    storage to build up oil pressure without excessive wear.
    (I normally do this after I change my oil/oil filter as
     a precautionary not so much on the Dak but on the challenger).

To keep foreign critters/materials out of the internals.

* Block air intake with a lint-free cloth

* Block exhaust pipe with a cloth.

Oil, no matter how little used, gets acidity. I would do
a oil/filter change as a prep to storage and then another one
before first start after storage as the oil will probably
get water in it during the storage.

Obsessive? It really depends on the value that each puts
on his/her possession.

Bob