RE: Re: RE: Re: 42RE random kickdown when cruising

From: Pacer Baldwin (pacerz@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 00:18:38 EDT

I'm pretty sure that is a downshift. I have experienced the unlock/lock and
though it has happened on occasion, I don't think it is the phenomenon. To
explain in detail:
Cruising on flat/level road at 60 mph, tach is at 1800 rpm. Tach will
bounce some from 1700 to 1900 at random (I'm sure this is the TPS). The
tach then surges to 2500 - 2600 and stalls there a bit and then you feel the
cluck of the tranny shifting to 3rd and the engine sounds louder and higher
pitched. The tach reads 3000. Then it will stay there at 3k until I
release the accelerator. Once I release, it will fall back to 2.5k or so
and then up shift to 4th again. It will stay in 4th until 20 mph if I keep
my foot off the pedal. But usually if I immediately reapply the throttle to
move back to 60 mph, the sequence will repeat, but not always. It seems to
get worse the longer I drive. It will not replicate with the O/D off at the
same rpms in 3rd. This is a random fault, and is hard to replicate, but a
real PITA once it starts happening when I have some place to go.

The new TPS should be in tomorrow, so I will talk to the dealer then and ask
about TSB's or recalls. I will get back on what I find.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Pacer