OT: Jeep Cherokee rough idle

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 08:09:08 EDT

      Hey Ya'll,
            I know its off topic, but I'm in need of a little help. I got a
friend of mine that has a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4WD, 4.0L, Auto. The truck has
about 112K miles on it and he has been complaining of rough idle. He was
gonna take it to the stealer for a check and the service bandit ,errr I
mean writer, told him it was probably the IAC and would need to be
replaced, at a charge of about $150. I had him come over to my house Friday
evening so I could work on it. I pulled the TB, cleaned it, removed the IAC
valve and cleaned it, replaced the TB and it ran fine. Total cost about $5
for the gasket, TB cleaner and electrical contact cleaner. He told me this
morning it ran fine till Saturday evening then it started doing the same
thing again. The IAC did have a good deal of gunk on it when I pulled it.
The "O" ring looked to be in good shape and I made sure it was installed
when I re-installed the valve. There did seem to be a small amount of gunk
in the TB bore itself, but I got it pretty clean and even took compressed
air and blew it out. I set the air regulator for about 25 PSI so I wouldn't
really blow it away. I also sprayed each one of the electrical connectors,
IAC, TPS, with contact cleaner. I'm wondering if even though I cleaned the
IAC, is it possible the valve itself may be bad and needs to be replaced?
While I was under the hood, I did look around for vacuum leaks, loose
connectors and I didn't find anything. I really don't want to tell this guy
to spend $50 for a new IAC if its possible the problem is someplace else.
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ray Irons,
Dover, DE