Re: Dismal Day at the Dragstrip

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 09:21:29 EDT

At 09:09 PM 8/11/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, I figured out what happened! I was making my run's
>with the OD turned off, and it wasn't letting the transmission
>shift into high gear till just about the 1000 ft mark, with the
>OD turned off it locked out the overdrive and 3 rd gear to boot
>till it saw fit to upshift to 3rd on it's own!! which was way too
>late for a decent 1/4 mile run or high MPH # --SNIP --
>Ron- '01 Dakota Sport 3.9 Supercharged

Ron

Whenever I've left OD ON in error (two of my runs at the Nats
being the latest), I consistently run 2/10s slower than with
OD OFF.

You can bring the automatic 2-3 shift down the rpm scale
by letting out your TV cable (moving it out towards the rad).
You would have to experiment how to find out how many
notches. The drawback with this method is that it will
affect your 1-2 shift rpm shift point as well.

I would suggest that, at your next test & tune, that you
turn OD OFF, launch with the gear in 2nd, let the
tranny do the 1-2 shift (if you're satisfied with the its
rpm point), and then you manually do the 2-3 shift at the
the rpm you want. If the 2-3 shift still hangs, back off the
TV cable 1 notch and try this procedure again.

Hope this helps.

Bob