Re: Tire size for an 11" wide rim

From: Phil Jenkins (bugnik@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 20:26:26 EDT

Dave,

You could go with a 345 width on 11" rim. A rule of
thumb is rim width 70 to 90 percent of tire width.
345 is about 13 1/2 inch wide. On my truck (98 Sport)
its 10 inches from the mounting surface to the inner
fender, so you could tuck about 9 1/2 inches of tire
in the wheel well from the mounting surface without
rubbing.
13 and a half inches of tire on an 11 inch rim leaves
an 1 1/4 of tire sticking out past the rim. 9 1/2
minus 1 1/4 equals 8 1/4 inches of backspacing without
rubbing.That would be the max backspacing. Have I lost
you yet?
What you will have to decide is what size tire you
want to run and how much you want it to stick out.
This is all for the REAR of the vehicle. Its a whole
different story for the fronts.
I have 8" rims on the front with 6 1/4 backspacing and
a 255 width tire. Very slight rub at full lock.
I have the Boyd Smoothies. Any other questions feel
free to ask.

Phil

http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Ob4o9sCNwrxqM/