RE: No modified exhaust in NJ

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@cox.net)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 20:47:02 EDT

Just thought you New Englanders would want to know:

Massachusetts Bill To Outlaw Aftermarket Exhausts Set Aside for Study

                         URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Massachusetts Legislation to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket
Exhaust Systems
A bill (H.B. 3593) has been set aside for study that would prohibit the sale
or installation of “an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner
which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.” We are
hopeful that upon further review, the bill will be withdrawn.

We Urge You to Contact Your State Legislators Immediately to Oppose This
Bill

H.B. 3593 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to
make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

H.B. 3593 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce,
allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified
exhaust system is in violation.

H.B. 3593 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer
increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its
ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

H.B. 3593 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust
systems with more durable and better-looking stainless steel ones.

Contact your state legislators to oppose this legislation. This bill
tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Massachusetts. If you need
assistance in determining who your legislators are, please contact the
Massachusetts General Court at 617/722-1276. This information can also be
obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007 or via
the Internet at
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD