Howdey & What is that noise?

From: Nick (Nick_Onofrio@toughguy.net)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 16:19:18 EDT

Hi All,

I've been reading the list for a few months now, and have learned a lot.
Nut have now encountered a problem with my truck. The transfer case was
leaking out of one of the seals between the rear housing. Simple enough
with the aid of a mechanic friend we repaired it. Filled the transfer case
with Mobil-1 synthetic ATF. And now whenever load is suddenly applied.
There is a popping sound coming from the rear of the truck. A different
mechanic friend feels it is a suspension problem. He's a Ford mechanic so I
find his explanation funny. He said I have to much torque and when I put it
under load the torque was twisting the suspension and causing the popping.
Now if the case is I have to much torque...and nothing will be harmed I more
than welcome the problem. He also thinks that because I changed the rear
differential fluid, and the tranny fluid this could cause the noise. This
was over a thousand miles and a trip to Moab ago.

Right now I suspect that the Mobil-1 ATF in the transfer case is to blame.
Is this reasonable considering how picky DC transmissions are? What else
could it be?

The truck is a 1997 RC, 5.2 4X4

Thanks in Advance,
Nick Onofrio