New Questions HO Cams/Pinging/MP PCM

From: William H. Hiatt III (william@hiatt.net)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 19:39:00 EDT

Well you may remember my questions regarding the pinging on my engine with
the new HO cams. The local friendly dealer had the truck all day and said
the following:

A) It runs like a bat out of hell!
B) It's fast
C) The noise you're hearing is pinging.

I currently have Autolite 5224's and the stock 195 thermostat. So my
question is the following:

1) Should I replace the thermostat with a 180? Is the Robert-Shaw 330-180 a
good one to use (I have it in the truck right now sitting on the passenger
seat)

2) Should I replace the plugs while I'm at it with Autolite 5223s or 3923s?
I currently have the Autolite 5224s

3) No one else said the cams caused the ping on their engines. I'm running a
few mods, most notably 4" Z-Tube, 3" in, 2x2 1/4" exhaust, Mike Leach custom
PCM flash, and now the HO cams. Could the advanced timing on the PCM be
causing the ping? I had about 1/4 - 3/4 of a tank of 89 in my truck, which I
then topped off with 91 octane and a can of 104 octane boost and it still
"pings". Am I right to say that if the cams where off a tooth on the
install, or one was off a tooth and one was right on, it wouldn't idle right
or run smoothly?

Thanks again guys!
william