Does this sound right?

From: Nick (Nick_Onofrio@toughguy.net)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 00:16:05 EDT

Hi All,

My truck has been making a popping noise on acceleration since I repaired a
leak in the transfer case. Since I could not figure it out I took it to a
local shop I trust. They said this noise was..."possible worn chain and/or
gears-need to R&R T-Case and open up-minimum cost to R&R and repair transfer
case is $400-450, but depends on actual damage inside T-Case"

A little history would probably be helpful to get an opinion from you
fellows. The case was leaking pretty badly from the outer housing (not rear
seal). I unbolted it and re did the seal with RTV. Stopped the leak.
However I filled the case with Mobil 1 ATF. Now it makes the noise. A few
pops every time I hit the gas hard. No matter what gear I'm in. And not
hitting the gas hard isn't an option in my opinion :) Could the noise just
be a result of the Mobil 1? Did the Mobil 1 clean the case so that now it
slips?

The shop I feel is respectable. They told my Dad the problem in his tranny
was the wrong fluid instead of him needing new synco's like another shop.
Just trying to make sure. Has anyone had a similar problem? And what are
some aftermarket options for a T-Case? I think it is the NV-231.

My truck is a 97, 318 4X4 with 72,000 miles. I believe this was the first
time the transfer case fluid was changed. In part because it was midnight
black. And I bought it used a while ago. All other fluids are Amsoil.
Transfer case was going to be changed next but I noticed the leak.

Thanks again,
Nick