RE: Engine Noise & Pics

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 01:47:25 EDT

That doesn't sound good at all. :(

- Bernd

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net] On Behalf Of Granpa
Silver89
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 10:32 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: Engine Noise & Pics

Well I finally got around to getting an audio clip of the engine noise I

have and some pics of oil residue in the air hat. Can I please get some

opinions on this?

My feeling is that the noise is the timing chain. The noise - is a
rattle, and does not seem to be a patterned, constant clack clack clack
clack. Which is why I don't think its valve train or a rod noise.

I am experiencing poor starts occasionally - where it feels like the
engine tries to turn over too soon or too late. As if the timing is
bad. (another reason I think the chain may be bad)

I also posted some pics. You can see the oil residue that is coming in
the crank case breather inlet to the air filter. If I remember right -
this is not a good sign. Isn't that an indicator of blow by - meaning
bad rings??

The audio was taken after the truck had been driven and warmed up half
an hour. At cold start - its not as obvious. I took the recording at
various points around and under the truck and engine.

the mp3 audio (424K) is at this URL:

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/engine_clatter.mp3

The images are at the following URLs:

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/9_4_02pics/residue.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/9_4_02pics/crankcasehose.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/9_4_02pics/breatherinlet.jpg

--

"Hey Ray! Granpa done gone'n hit another light pole!"

Granpa - (Silver89)

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/