Re: how to stop this rattle?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 21:55:49 EDT

"Mike Meyerhoff" <mike@mypants.org> wrote:

: My parking brake cable is hitting my cat conv. and making a racket. What
: can I use as a spacer on the cable that won't get melted by the cat conv.
: ???

  No, no, no. You're going about it all wrong! You need to remove the
cat! ;-)

  Ok ok... The only thing that springs readily to mind is maybe you
wrap the cable with several layers of exhaust header wrap or some
thermo-shield (fibers on one side, shiny silver on the other side). I
have seen patches in auto parts stores meant to repair holes in
mufflers, some of that wrapped around the cable might do the trick too.
Make sure whatever you use is designed to take the heat though. I
seem to recall a cat will be about 900 degrees, so you need something
that can withstand constant contact with that kind of temperature.

  Another option would be to loosen up an emergency brake bracket
and tighten another to take up the slack. Depending on how much
play you've got and the relative location of all the components, it
might be possible to move the cable far enough away from the cat
to stop it from hitting. (Or you may be able to loosen a bracket
or two and use a steel cable fastened to a crossmember to hold the
emergency brake cable away from the cat.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'