Re: NV3500 Rebuild Cost - How to tell if needed?

From: Robert Schultz (robert_schultz@remove.yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 13:31:31 EDT

All this talk of re-building 5spd's has me wondering again if mine is a
problem.

In the last few months it has started exhibiting the following problems:

-very difficult (sometimes impossible) to engage first after sitting in
neutral with clutch out (i.e. at a light)
-sometimes kicks back out of second as the clutch is let out. Feels like the
shifter was all the way engaged, but then I can find an extra click
downwards.
-always had a problem with fourth gear. There's a spot in the tranny where I
can get the shifter stuck somewhere between second and fourth. Not it gear
and not in neutral.

I have not had any satisfaction at the dealer. And a second dealer told me
that since I had it in for a warranty repair on the shifter/trans at on
dealer, another dealer wasn't allowed to touch it.

Course they all blame my shifting (which is probably part of the problem).

While we're at it, should the posi rear whine significantly when turning
corners?

Rob S.

<srp@cox.net> wrote in message

> Paid $1500 to have mine rebuilt on my '95 (syncros went, shift fork was a
little bent-- at 143k miles).

> You can get a completely remanufactured NV3500 for $975 from
www.phoenixhardparts.com (ask for Andre).. Clutch and pressure plate is
extra, I think.