Drag Racing for Toys for Tots

From: Chris Lambert (dakotausa@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 12:00:13 EDT

I thought I would pass this on to you guys. Show the DML pride there and
Dakota USA

Montcalm County Toys for Tots kicks off it's 2002 season at the Mid-Michigan
Motorplex in Stanton on Saturday October 12 with a benefit drag race and
car,
motorcycle, & snowmobile show!

Qualifying begins at 11 A.M., Racing is from 2-5 P.M.

U.S. Marines will be on hand for the flag raising ceremony and to accept
donations for their Toys for Tots progam.

See our website for details: www.RunWhatYouBrung.com

If you or your club is looking for one more event this year, this is the
one!

How the show works:
Every participant and spectator gets a ballot to cast for the vehicle of
their choice. The winner of this "People's Choice" voting will win $150, 2nd
place $100, 3rd place $50. The children vote too! (Maybe now's a good time
paint that big Barney on the side of your car ... you KNOW you WANT to! ;)

How the racing works:
During the 3 rounds of qualifying, you qualify with your club, friends, or
independently. If you want to "grudge race" somebody, or pit one club
against
another in qualifying, that is your business. Due to time constraints
however, the qualifying schedule will be strictly followed.
In the first round of competition, the fastest (#1) qualifier is paired with
the next fastest (#2) qualifier, the #3 vs. #4, #5 vs. #6, and so on to the
slowest of the entries REGARDLESS of vehicle type. All racing will be
heads-up. For the next round, the winner of each pair moves up to race the
loser of the pair just faster than them on the qualifying list. The losers
of
the round drop back to race the winners of the pair just slower. We will
race
3 rounds, you will win 3,2,1, or zero out of 3 for the day. There are
multiple advantages to racing this way:

* No complicated class structure.
* Close, all heads-up, REAL racing.
* Everybody races 3 rounds.
* Interesting match-ups between different types of vehicles.
* There are only 2 byes all day.

The Christmas tree:
The "Christmas tree" at the starting line will be "instant green". There
will
be no amber bulbs counting down to green. The tree goes green after both
cars
stage and the starter pushes the start button. This system is in use at
various events around the country and has several advantages:

1. It closely mirrors a street race. As you know, drag racing was started
through the combined efforts of law enforcement and car enthusiasts in an
effort to reduce street racing. We are hoping that by using the "instant
green" starting system, we will further encourage street racers to come to
the strip. Hey, the stoplights in town never had amber bulbs counting down
the green either!

2. It let's you race without the worries of a red light. Since you won't be
trying to "time" the green bulb off the yellows, you won't red light.

3. This is as close as you can get to the way it was in the beginning of the
sport without actually returning to a flag man.

4. It allows the real fast guys to leave harder.

5. It puts everyone is on an level playing field.

Come and do battle at our Christmas tree on October 12 so the children of
Montcalm County can find presents under their's on December 25!!!

See you at the races,
Doug Dornbos
www.runwhatyoubrung.com
runwhatyoubrung@aol.com

Chris Lambert
01 Graphite QC -- 4.7 Auto, K&N Drop in, MBRP Dual Exhaust Custom bent on
45s, Bed Rug, Bed Rails, Euro Tails, Clear Fronts,Truxedo Bed cover, Custon
Leather seats, NR Auto gauges, Boyds Timeless 6s with 275/50/17 Nitto
NT450s, GTS style hood, SS front Bumper cover, SS Grilles upper and lower,
JVC CD player, Vega 6.5s in door