Running lean ! IDEAS ? Help.....

From: Marty Nowak \(Got-Speed\) (got-speed@cox.net)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 20:36:58 EDT

Q: I seem to be running lean all the time, unless I floor the gas. I have a
autometer A/F gauge that has been pretty helpfull in the past. Tonight I
floored it for about 200 ft (had to merge off the interstate from a stop
light) and came to another stop. When I stopped the idle dipped down to the
point where it almost cut off, but almost immediatly came back up to around
750 rpm. I pulled over a few blocks down and sat for a few minutes with the
engine running and it didn't do it again, but still stayed lean, most of the
time to the point where the gauge didn't even light. I then removed the JET
chip and for almost a minute the A/F looked normal jumping around from lean
to rich to back, but then went back to staying lean. I called advance and
the guy said the O2 sensor is rated for 100k, and the problem may be with
the IAC. I am asking for opinions here I have another IAC that I might try
to swap in and see what happens, but want to fix the problem before it gets
worse, even if it means getting a new O2 sensor. What is weird is it stays
lean even when driving around ! I'm stummped. Help !
BTW- Its a 98 318 Auto

Marty
http://members.cox.net/got-speed