Re: Engine Rebuild Options--Vote for one

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 15:46:06 EDT

If I was in the same situation, I would probably opt for option #5, rebuild the 318, using the $500 you saved on performance parts and upgrades - then you have a sale-able truck that dosen't scream "abuse".. IMHO

>>> onebad4x4dak@yahoo.com 09/20/02 01:50PM >>>

For those who don't know my situation (it has been a LONG time
since I've posted), I sanded my cylinder walls with 80 grit ala
Jon's "Dak Killer" mud pit and a 350 mile drive home . . . I
hate it when I'm dumb. Anyway, the truck now burns oil like
crazy . . . looks like a diesel when you get on the gas. To get
to the point here's what I've decided my best options are:

1. Rebuild my 318. I found a shop locally that will do it
properly for $2100. Includes a 12 month/12000 mile warranty.

2. Exchange my 318 for a rebuild. Another local shop wants
about $2400 for to exchange my engine for a 318 they have
rebuilt. Forgot to ask about a warranty.

3. Exchange my 318 for a 360. The same shop in option 1 wants
between 500 and 600 dollars more for this option. They claim my
computer will not need swapped . . . can anyone confirm if this
is correct?

4. Blow mad cash for a 408 Stroker.

Before you vote for the obvious choice (#4 of course!), I have
some extenuating circumstances that make this decision a little
more difficult. I am in the Air Force and am definitely moving
this coming March ('03). Unfortunately I do not know yet where
I'm going, but there's probably an 80% chance it will be S.
Korea for a year. If I get that assignment, I'll get a
follow-on to Europe (my choice) for at least 2 more years.
After a lot of deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that
the best thing for me to do would be to sell the truck before
(if) I go to Korea . . . I can't take it there, and although the
Air Force would ship it to Europe afterwards, it doesn't make
very much sense to drag a 12-15 mpg pickup over to the lands of
$6/gal gas (or whatever it is). I'm not getting paid that much.

SO (sorry for the short novel, by the way), assuming I'm selling
the truck option 1 makes a lot of sense. The serial numbers
will still all match which I guess has some appeal. I don't see
anything about option 2 that makes it attractive, unless the
warranty is exceptional (and transferable). Skipping to option
4, while the biggest (and therefore the best, right?), it's just
too much money to drop and then turn around and sell in 6
months. However, option 3 may be the best mix. For the
additional $500-$600 for a 360, I reckon I could probably sell
the truck for that much more when it comes time, as it will be
something unique (a 360 Club Cab). Still, it may be quite
obvious that I did something bad to the original engine and give
the false impression that I've abused the entire truck. I guess
my final question is, "Would you buy a used Dak CC with a 360
and be willing to pay more (about $500) for it than one with a
318?" I look forward to the responses.

=====
Later,
JY
Fairborn, OH '98 CC 5.2L 5spd 4x4 w/prerunner bumper
Pics -- http://photos.yahoo.com/onebad4x4dak