Re: Cross-Threaded Oil Drain Plug

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 22:35:05 EDT

Hey Aaron,
?
<snip> Should I run a tap of the current size in
it and see if a new drain plug will fit, or should I run a tap that's one
size bigger and buy a drain plug to fit that?<snip>

If you don't opt for the drain valve, you'll probably have to go the helical
coil route. Check the size and pitch of the thread & go to a local
industrial tooling supplier, & get a kit with and drill and tap in it.
You'll also have to get the helicoil insertion & break-off tool. Probably
cost ya less than $50 for everything.
HTH,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY