Re: Electric fan kit?

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 22:44:29 EDT

Jim Miller WB5OXQ wrote:
> I hear there is no aftermarket electric fan that can cool our V8s well
> enough, however, V8 cameros, firebirds, mustangs, cougars, thunderbirds,
> Corvetts,and possably other V8 cars have electric fans and work ok. What
> about vipers with massive V10s, arent they electric ly cooled? The problem
> as i see it is that the aftermarked electric fans do not have enough cfm but
> someone could build one that would. Shelby dakotas have electric fans too!

Those sports cars and their engines are lighter and are usually aluminum
blocks - they won't heat up as much and dissipate the heat better.
Plus, their cooling system was designed to use an electric fan, so it's
got the capacity. Taking a system designed for a mechanical fan and
going electric isn't as easy as just swapping the fans.

Moving CFMs isn't enough when things get hot. You have to move them
across a large enough portion of the radiator, and get good heat
transfer from the fins to the air. You also need to get that hot air
out of the engine compartment.

FWIW, my girlfriend's V6 Grand Am with an electric fan got quite hot
many times this summer.