Excess Oil consumption/fouled plug

From: Parker, Jon (GRCI) (ParkerJ@Pragmatics.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 11:33:50 EDT

My 5.2L has started to consume a lot of oil, about 1 qt per 600 miles
beginning about 2k ago (I have 36k total miles) - never consumed much
before. Seems to be pinging more, too. There are no external leaks and I
do not notice or smell any obvious burning oil while in operation (at
startup or thereafter). Pulled all the plugs and all look fine EXCEPT the
#8 cylinder - it looks wet fouled with oil. Could the manifold "belly pan
gasket" problem I've seen others mention cause only one plug to look bad
like this? What else could this be? Valve seal, piston ring (I hope not)?

Jon - Annandale, VA

'99 4x4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto