Re: theoretical diesel question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 12:32:30 EDT

"BARRY OLIVER" <DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us> wrote:

: Ok, some like diesels, some don't, some think they are a good idea, some
: don't - Here's my question:

: IF someone were to want to end up with a diesel Dak, what would you
: start with? Specifically, does any generation of Dak provide a better
: or worse platform for the swap.

   IMHO, yes. If at all possible, I would start out with a GenII,
simply because they have the most engine bay room. The GenIII is a
bit cramped as far as width and the cowl overhang goes, and the GenI's
engine bay, although the same width, is shorter than the GenII. But,
any of them could be made to work. As far as the drivetrain goes,
in some of the the GenIII models you could get the 9.25" rearend, the
biggest prior to that was the 8.25". With the torque of a diesel,
(depending on how you use it) the larger rear might be an advantage,
but you could always do something like stick a Dana 60 under there,
no matter what truck you start with.

: Also, assuming the donor motor has to
: come from somewhere, what type and size of motor would be a good match
: for the dakota's size? Turbo or non turbo? Displacement? I would say
: that since this is a theoretical exercise, anything goes. If you think
: the best way to do this would be to start with a 3.9 magnum block.. so
: be it.

    The 5.9 CTD has a baby brother - a 3.9. Its an inline 4. I don't
recall exactly, but I think its somewhere around 100hp, 300 lb-ft.
There was a feature in the 4 wheel parts adventures magazine a short
while back about a guy who put one in his jeep. Personally, I'd
probably try to cram the 5.9 in there... ;-)

   Dakotas actually are made with diesels for foreign markets, but I
have no idea what engines they use.

: Disclaimer: This is kind-of a what if you won the lottery type of
: question, There is no correct or incorrect answer. Treat it like
: fantasy football - nobody give anyone grief about the (im)practicality
: of their choices. Thank you for your time.

   A while back, there was a Dakota dually on e-bay. a truck like that,
with the 5.9 CTD would sure be a conversation piece! :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'