RE: DML : Dragstrip Altitudes, Got a Question

From: Ray (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 00:35:41 EDT

<snip>
> I ignore elevation because elevation itself doesn't have an effect
> on your performance. Where elevation does come into play is with the
> air density - the higher you go, the less the "column of air" pushing
> down on you weighs, and the less the air pressure. However, this is
> nothing more than barometric pressure. This is why I ignore elevation
> and base everything on weather readings (temp, humidity, barometric
> pressure)
<snip>
> That said, in general, yes, you will run slower at higher elevations.
> :-)---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or

Very well put and excellent examples, Jon. I hadn't really thought about
it to that extent as I have my weather gauges and that's all I go by. The
higher the track elevation, the lower the barometric pressure you will
generally see so you can expect your performance to suffer.

At exceptionally high elevations, however, wouldn't you expect to have less
oxygen content as well? I'm thinking of Bandimere in CO which is, I
believe, over a mile high.

Here's some of my personal examples.....my ET varies through out the season
by as much as 4 tenths and my speed varies by as much as 2 mph, all
depending on actual temp/barometer/humidity. Some friends with more
sophisticated weather stations have shown me that our corrected altitude has
varied from near sea level (when we run really fast) to 3800 feet (when we
all run reeaall sloooow), yet our physical elevation remains at 911 feet.

Certain NHRA tracks frequently experience what they call "mineshaft"
conditions, where the corrected altitude may be several hundred feet BELOW
sea level due to exceptionally high barometric pressure and low humidity.
All the naturally aspirated cars at those events will likely run record
numbers, especially if the track is near a heavily wooded area where the
oxygen content is very high. I've noticed, though, that the supercharged
cars don't necessarily improve to the same extent but by the same token
don't suffer as much at higher elevations.

Ray