Braking Ideas

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 14:29:00 EDT

Hello Daker's!

I know the majority of us enjoy the Powerslot/Raybestos combination for
braking. I had a few questions for y'all ;) (please excuse my wannabe
Southerner expression - my Aunt/Uncle live in NC, so it keeps coming into my
vocab) My standard driving is 80% highway/10% city/10% country. 5 times /
year I pull our pop-up camper (approx 2,500lbs). Hoping to have a floatation
device to pull of 5,500lbs ;^P

1) For those that have made the switch to the above combo, have you noticed
an increase in pad usage with the slotted rotors compared to the OEM's? How
often do you change your pads now as compared to before?

2) As an alternative to the powerslots, have any of you considered going to
a 4-piston caliper? This way the pad will be gripping on both ends of the
pad. I'm curious to know with the non-slotted rotors if this will benefit
the stopping distance as much as the slotted rotors will.

3) Does anyone make a larger rotor and caliper combo to fit inside our 16X8
rims? These stock OEM rotors are tiny compared to what could fit inside.

I know doing any of these will help in minimizing the stopping distance, I'm
just trying to get the best bang for the buck. The 4-piston idea came up
talking with a fellow engineer that put them on his WRX that he races on
road courses. Of course he installed the powerslots as well. He has noticed
a fair increase in wear in pads with his ride. I thought I'd ask about our
vehicles compared to an AWD car to compare.

FYI, I won't be able to respond until Monday, but I'll post the summary when
I return. I'm shuttering now in my '01 and need to get this corrected.
Thanks for your help guys and gals! Have a great weekend!

Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 256,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1 - 38,800mi!
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/DnuuSncssJujU